The Current State of Canadian M&A Advisory Fees
Using data from Firmex’s 6th annual M&A Fee Guide 2022-2023 survey, the Canadian edition provides a mid-year analysis from advisors across provinces, and is the authoritative source on M&A fees for sell-side engagements in the middle market.
Informed Conversations on M&A Fees
In reading the guide, M&A advisors and business owners will gain insights on the expectations, negotiations, structuring, and associated practices surrounding M&A fees. The guide serves as a reference point on what would otherwise be a complex and highly variable topic—the pricing of M&A fees.
Key Highlights from the Canadian M&A Fee Guide 2022-2023
- Most firms said their fee levels have been holding steady for deals of similar size and complexity.
- Most firms said their profitability has been steady. Of the rest, more said profitability increased than said it declined.
- The number of firms that don’t charge a retainer or work fee in addition to a success fee increased to 19%.
- More than half of the advisors said their revenue from M&A fees has been increasing.
- Three-quarters of firms said there was no change in the pressure to cut fees. Only 12% of firms said the pressure increased.